There are so many best rated brands and models of sewing machines today that it is easy to be confused on what the best option is. You may find it difficult to choose among a Janome sewing machine, a Bernina sewing machine and a Juki sewing machine based on features alone. While it might be tempting to go for a singer over a Serger sewing machine simply because the former is a more known brand, you might make a costly mistake.
Table of Contents
- 1 Factors to Consider While Buying
- 2 How We Picked and Tested
- 3 Why Trust our Review?
- 4 Brother CS6000i Feature Rich Sewing Machine
- 5 Singer 1304 Start Free Arm Sewing Machine
- 6 SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Stylist Sewing Machine
- 7 Brother LS2125i Easy-to-use Sewing Machine
- 8 SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed
- 9 SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine
- 10 SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Machine
- 11 Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Mechanical Sewing Machine
- 12 SINGER 2277 Tradition 23-Stitch Sewing Machine
- 13 Brother XM2701 Lightweight, Full Featured Sewing Machine
- 14 Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
- 15 Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing & Embroidery Machine
- 16 Conclusion
Factors to Consider While Buying
- Ease of use
- Automatic button- hole making
- A variety of presser feet
- Many built in stitches are better than fewer ones
- Autopilot and controllable sewing speed
- Easy bobbin management including top loading
- Portability especially if frequent movement is required. For this, a handheld sewing machine is the best.
How We Picked and Tested
After scrapping through numerous home sewing magazines, blogs, company websites and customer review platforms, we picked some of the most popular or talked about sewing machines. To get a fairly clear picture, we picked the sewing machines from a wide price bracket (From as high as over $300 to some costing less than $100).
We included both electric and mechanical machines and to be honest, we were curious about the performance of computerized models compared to the rest. We tested the sewing machines in the same conditions. Each machine’s performance was tested over different pieces of fabric. The value of the features of each machine was evaluated by our trusted experts in the industry and the overall ease of use was among the factors that we considered.
Why Trust our Review?
In this review, we relied on the combined knowledge of our in-house team who have been reviewing, researching and writing on issues relating to the apparel industry. We also consulted industry experts including contributors to major sewing magazines and respected sewists.
Brother CS6000i Feature Rich Sewing Machine
If you ever dreamt of a sewing machine that is easy to use and yet gives you the results of an expert, the Brother CS6000i is what you dreamt of. This is one of the best sewing machines for quilting and is great too for other sewing needs.
- Like the Brother HC1850, this sewing machine allows easy stitch selection through an LCD display screen. You choose your type of stitch through a stitch selector button and view your settings through the display screen.
- Oversized working table for big projects. This is especially useful for professionals such as quilters or other crafters who need to maneuver through large fabrics and any
- Automatic needle threading that eliminates the hustle of manually finding the eye of the needle
- Controllable sewing speed. The stitch speed slide helps to work with the speed that is most convenient for your particular project.
- Assisted bobbin winding
- Illuminated work area that provides visibility even for dark fabrics
- An inbuilt free arm that is suitable for working on smaller round items such as pant legs.
- Easy to use machine suitable for home and professional use
- A choice of 60 built in stitches including special decorative stitches
- An LCD display that allows easy stitch selection
- Easy bobbin thread management
- It comes with an inbuilt compartment for storing accessories
- It is versatile for a wide array of functionalities
- It has 25 years warranty.
- It has no memory function and therefore loses all settings when turned off
- When sewing on the highest speed setting, the machine is a bit noisy
Singer 1304 Start Free Arm Sewing Machine
Singer is a world respect brand in the manufacturer of sewing machines. The singer 1304 is especially suitable for beginners. This could be the best sewing machine for kids. It is well-built compact sewing machine that is made for durability as well as ease of use.
- Heavy duty metal frame for durability
- It has 6 inbuilt stitches for a wide variety of uses. If you are interested in more built-in stitches, you might like the SINGER 3223G
- Easy stitch selection through one-touch dial4. Twin needle sewing for hemming or decoration
- Easy set up and threading through printed diagrams
- It comes with free accessories including presser feet.
- It comes with a heavy duty metal frame for durability
- It comes with different presser feet including a special buttonhole foot and zipper foot.
- Easy to use as a result of simplified threading system and preset stitch length or width adjustments
- Assisted button hole making
- It comes with a removable arm that allows easy access to cuffs, hems and other tricky areas to reach.
- Special needles are required for heavy fabrics such as denim.
- It is only suitable for beginners and for non-complicated projects
SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Stylist Sewing Machine
This is an award-winning sewing machine and one of the best sewing machines you can lay your hands on. It is a machine that is feature rich and is a perfect companion for stylists or crafters. It is one of the best-rated sewing machines due to unparalleled performance, efficiency, and ease of use.
- Automatic needle threader for easy threading. The whole machine can be threaded in just six seconds saving you time and the hassle
- LED illuminated workspace for ease of visibility
- Simplified creation of buttonholes with six different styles
- Easy bobbin management system. The bobbin is easy to load and monitor as the cover is clear
- Programmable needle operations. This allows you to choose to stop while needle is up or down for easy fabric removal or for pivoting during appliquéing or quilting
- Up to 100 inbuilt stitches for a wide array of sewing needs
- Start and stop button with speed control for precision stitching
- Ideal for professional uses such as decorative stitching, quilting or appliquéing
- It has a heavy-duty frame for durability and for consistent stitching
- Easy stitch selection and bobbin management
- On-board storage compartment for safe keeping of accessories
- The on an off button allows ease of use and the controllable speeds provide precision
- It has 25 years limited warranty
- The stitch width is only 5mm. There are machines that offer up to 7 mm of stitch width.
Brother LS2125i Easy-to-use Sewing Machine
Unlike the Brother CS6000i, this sewing machine comes with less ostentatious features but don’t dismiss it just yet. It is one of the best deals on sewing machines as it costs way less than $100 while having many useful features. It is one of the best-rated sewing machines on many eCommerce platforms.
- 10 built in stitches suitable for essential sewing, quilting or for decorative purposes
- Automatic and easy creation of buttonholes in just four steps
- It has a tension control dial that controls tension of the sewing during stitching
- 3 different foot controls that are easy to switch with just a click
- Free tools and accessories such as screwdrivers, a darning plate, needles etc
- Easy stitch selection through a built-in dial
- Easy bobbin winding system
- Comes with a free arm that is helpful when working with cuffs and sleeves
- It has guided easy instructions on threading 5.
- 25-year limited warranty6. It is lightweight and portable
- It is not ideal for professionals
- It does not come with a thread cutter which is a bit inconveniencing
SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed
This is one machine we found to be very powerful. Thanks to a powerful motor, you will sew just through anything and at very high speeds. This is one of the best heavy duty sewing machines and can almost be described as military grade. Complete with a metal frame and a bedplate made of stainless steel you can expect stability, high performance, and reliability. It is one of the best sewing machines of 2015.
- Fast sewing speed of up to 1,100 stitches in a single minute.
- 23 built-in stitches for basic to advanced uses including decorative purposes
- Drop in bobbin that is easy to insert and remove
- Clear view cover to monitor bobbin thread length
- The stainless steel bed plate for smooth fabric feeding
- Easy button hole making in just one step
- You can complete projects in the shortest time possible thanks to a high stitching speed
- Strong metal frame that prevents skipping during sewing
- Automatic needle threader that prevents eye strain or the hassle of manual threading
- It comes with 4 presser feet to suit a variety of needs such as adding button, holes zippers etc
- It comes with a 25 years limited warranty
- Although the machine is heavy duty, the needles do not seem heavy duty. They break as easy as other machines
- Having only 23 built is stitches limit the versatility of this model.
SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist Sewing Machine
This is one of the premium singer models that feature computerized functionalities. If you are looking for a portable sewing machine, this is not one of them but if sophistication and excellence are “your thing”, this will be your lifelong companion. This is one of the best commercial sewing machines.
- Versatility at its best; 600 built-in stitches
- Automatic button hole making with 13 customizable designs in just 1 step
- Automatic needle threader with easy management bobbin system
- Electronic auto pilot stitching with easy speed control
- Stich editing functionality
- LCD screen display stitch information and other messages
- Start and stop button in addition to a foot controller
- Sewing light for illumination in low light conditions
- Programmable needle up down allows easy fabric management
- The impressive stitch options make this one of the most versatile sewing machine costing less than $300
- Autopilot setting and speed control allows precision when working on a delicate project
- With stitch editing, you can customize the stitch pattern and have exact results
- It comes with 19 presser feet making it appropriate for professionals working on advanced projects
- It has automatic thread cutter to save time
- The machine has a relatively small working space and may not be very suitable for large projects
- It is quite bulky and is not easily movable3. It is quite pricey
SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Machine
This model closely resembles the Singer 4423 although it has slightly fewer features. It is an ideal machine for beginners and could be one of the best sewing machines for kids because it is easy to use and can be operated in a straightforward way.
- Heavy duty metal frame for durability and consistent stitching
- Smooth fabric feeding as a result of stainless steel plate
- High stitching rate of 1,100 stitches per minute
- Easy management bobbin system that features a clear cover for easy thread monitoring
- 11 built in stitches to suit a variety of needs6. Four presser feet to suit different purposes
- It has a high stitching speed so you can finish projects faster
- You can be able to automatically create button holes in just 4 steps
- It is easy to operate
- You can adjust the presser foot pressure for ease of working with different fabrics
- It comes with free useful accessories
- This machine is limited in versatility2. It is not suitable for advanced professional uses
Brother XL2600I Sew Advance Mechanical Sewing Machine
Not many sewing machine brands are light and at the same time, compact and sturdy. The Brother XL2600I is one of those exceptions and is almost similar to the Brother XL2610. It is easily portable yet strong and durable. It is one of those sewing machines that are good for beginners while at the same time offering more advanced functionalities. Although it does not come with all the bells and whistles, it comes with more features than most beginner sewing machines.
- It has 25 built in stitches for a wide variety of use
- Easy to turn dial for stitch selection
- Easy bobbin management system
- Illustrated machine threading with automatic needle threader
- Auto sized buttonholes that can be created in just one step
- Easy sewing of arms and sleeves through the use of built-in free arm
- 4 presser feet
- It is versatile sewing machine that can be used for altering and creating new projects
- It has a needle threader for convenient use
- Easy bobbin management
- The thread cutter saves on time while working
- Well lit workspace for easy working on fabrics
- 25 years limited warranty
- Easy to turn dial for stitch selection
- We found that the presser feet pressure is not adjustable
- It is not appropriate for advanced professional use
SINGER 2277 Tradition 23-Stitch Sewing Machine
This is a basic singer sewing machine that even though lacks higher-end features is practical and reliable. It is user-friendly and can be used by beginners without qualms. It is light weight and portable and does not occupy much space on a table top.
- It has 23 built in stitches for a variety of use
- It has a strong metal frame to provide stability during sewing
- Automatic needle threader
- Foot lifter with extra high presser foot for easier stitching of tough fabric
- A dial to adjust length and width of stitches
- Accessories include 3 presser feet
- Simple button to select stitches
- You can personalize stitches through adjusting their length and width by the touch of a dial
- Easy access to difficult to reach areas through use of the free arm
- The built-in stitches allow use over a variety of projects
- It is easy to create button holes through just one step
- Automatic bobbin winding system
- We found the workspace to be a little limiting for quilting or larger projects
- It is a mechanical machine with no computerization
Brother XM2701 Lightweight, Full Featured Sewing Machine
This brother sewing machine is aesthetically appealing and is value packed with many features which make this one of the best-rated sewing machines of 2015. It is suitable for beginners as it is easy to use and is easily portable.
- 27 built in stitches for a wide array of use
- Built-in free arm convenient for sewing sleeves and cuffs
- Easy bobbin management system
- Automatic threader
- Auto sized button holes making in just one step
- Stich selection at the turn of a dial
- It is an easy to use sewing machine
- You can select stitches easily with a simple dial
- Brightly LED illuminated work area that allows easy working in all environment
- It comes with a variety of sewing feet to suit different needs
- 25 years limited warranty
- We found the workspace light to be a little dim. Additional lighting may be required in a low light area
- The presser foot pressure cannot be adjusted
Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine
This sewing machine does not have many advanced features and can be regarded as a beginner machine. Even though it is basic, it is a well-built machine with many important functions and is easy to use.
- Top loading bobbin management system
- Precision fabric control through an advanced feed dog system similar to that of the Kenmore 19106
- 18 built-in stitches including automatic buttonhole stitching
- Easy stitch selection through the turn of a simple dial
- A Storage compartment on the free arm
- Adjustable length and width of stitches
- There is easy selection of stitches through the use of a stitch dial
- The stitch chart helps to monitor the stitch being used
- There is a reverse lever that locks stitches in place
- This sewing machine allows selection of width and length of stitches
- It has an easy bobbin management system that is jam proof
- It is portable and has a carrying handle
- It is not computerized and needle functions can’t be programmed
- It is not as versatile as other models that offer more stitch options
Brother SE400 Combination Computerized Sewing & Embroidery Machine
This is not just a computerized sewing machine it is the ultimate Brother Embroidery machine. In fact, if you are looking for the best embroidery machine, the Brother se400 is just that. This machine will invoke your creative genius and give you the tools to shine. Whether you are a seasoned designer or a novice, you will produce brilliant results. With the se400, you will have great versatility, especially that this machine allows connectivity to a computer. Although the Brother Project Runway CS5055PRW is more suitable for purposes such as quilting, the se400 will handle just any sewing need with impressive tenacity.
- Up to 67 built-in stitches that include basic, advanced and decorative stitches applicable over a range of projects.
- Easy embroidering with a large embroidery area plus installed 70 embroidery designs.
- Touchscreen LCD display for easy selection of settings
- Computer connectivity via USB cable
- Automatic threading system
- Automatic thread cutter
- Brightly Illuminated workspace
- It comes with free useful accessories
- You can purchase additional designs from the internet and transfer them to your sewing machine
- It allows high precision in designing including editing and resizing
- It has an LCD display for easy controls
- Inbuilt tutorials that are displayed through the LCD
- Easy bobbin management system
- It can be used for a host of purposes including sewing, embroidering, and quilting
- It is quite pricey
- It is a little complicated to operate and might not be suitable for a beginner
After rigorous testing, research and comparing all these brands we came to the conclusion that Brother CS6000i takes the price home for the best sewing machine for both professional and home use. Unlike other professional machines, it is easy to get around and can be used even by a beginner. At the same time, it is affordable while being generous with the features. Our second and third runners up are the singer 1304 and the Singer 7258 which exhibited good performance without being too expensive.