Your steam iron determines how crisp you look and how much you enjoy or hate ironing. It is, therefore, imperative to acquire a good iron. But with so many models in the market today each promising this and that feature, it can be a herculean task to know what is best. In this review, we compared some of the most popular models and put them to the task so can we help you make the best buying decision.
Table of Contents
- 1 Factors to Consider While Buying a Steam Iron
- 2 How We Picked and Tested
- 3 Why you Should Trust our Review?
- 4 Black & Decker D2030 Auto-off Digital Advantage Iron
- 5 Sunbeam Steam Master Iron with Retractable Cord GCSBSP-201
- 6 Rowenta DW5080 Focus Steam Iron
- 7 Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Travel Iron
- 8 Rowenta Steamforce DW9280 Iron
- 9 Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master Steam Iron
- 10 Black & Decker IR03V
- 11 Rowenta Effective Comfort DW2070 Steam Iron
- 12 T-fal FV4495 Ultraglide Easycord Steam Iron
- 13 Black & Decker The Classic Iron Model F67E
- 14 What is The Best Steam Iron to Buy?
However, before we get to the meat of the matter, here are some features that make a good steam iron.
Factors to Consider While Buying a Steam Iron
- A good quality soleplate; stainless steel and ceramic are the best
- Generous steam production and a superior distribution system around the soleplate.
- Ergonomic handle with comfort grip
- Large and clear water tank which is easy to monitor and refill.
- Features such as vertical steaming, self-clean and anti-calc systems.
- Power and steam saving features.
- A long power cord. Some irons have as much as 12 foot longcords.
How We Picked and Tested
We researched for the best -selling steam irons on many e-commerce platforms, dug through massive threads of customer reviews and did a survey of the most popular steam irons. We also consulted manufacturer websites and other online reviews to identify our potential candidates
Blind tests were done by two different groups comprising of professional sewists and non-sewists of both genders. Both groups recorded fairly similar results.
Why you Should Trust our Review?
We are not affiliated with any manufacturer and therefore our review is not biased for any reason whatsoever. BestReviewLab’s team of professionals who have a combined experience of close to 30 years in the fashion and sewing industry. BestReviewLab also consult other industry players including renowned bloggers, sewists, and fashion professionals.
Black & Decker D2030 Auto-off Digital Advantage Iron
Due to its massive popularity, this is the first iron we put to the test and we weren’t disappointed. It is one of the best clothes iron you can place your hands on and is one of the very few digital irons that cost less than $50. Despite its relatively low cost, this iron offers stunning performance and produces impressive results. It is comfortable to work with and it doesn’t drain the water tank too quickly.
- LCD digital display : The black and decker D2030 is a digital iron which bears a small LCD on the front end of its handle. This screen allows digital selection of temperature and fabric mode.
- 1500 watts of power : Sure, this isn’t the highest wattage in steam irons but this model heats up reasonably fast. 1500 watts is enough power to produce a good amount of steam that will suit any ironing needs.
- Heavy duty stainless steel soleplate : This iron is not light, however, it is not heavy. It has a solid soleplate that exerts the right amount of pressure to easily remove wrinkles. This soleplate is made of stainless steel which is durable and does not rust. Stainless steel also offers a superior glide.
- Comfort grip handle : This iron is made with comfort in mind. It has a soft handle with a firm grip allowing you to at the maximum comfort level.
- Auto off : To reduce the risk of fires or electrocution, this iron has a 3 way auto off function that automatically cuts power if the iron is left idle for a period of time. If you constantly forget to switch off your iron after you are done with ironing, this feature will save you a great deal of trouble.
- Variable steam : You can control the amount of steam depending on the type of fabric you are working with. Whether you need more or less, you can have it at the touch of a dial.
- Auto clean system : This is a mechanism designed to flush out dirt from the tank and from the steam holes. It helps in maintaining the iron in top notch condition and to increase its efficiency while at the same time reducing the hustle of regular maintenance.
- Powerful burst of steam : This feature allows you to use the iron for vertical steaming much less like a hand steamer.
- The iron has a good steam output
- The LCD allows for precision when selecting the temperature and fabric models.
- It has a heavy sole plate that removes creases easily
- A powerful burst of steam that is great for straightening hanging drapes.
- It heats up quickly
- The water tank lid is prone to breakage.
- It has no Teflon nonstick coating. You, therefore, need to be careful while ironing.
- Has a dark water tank, therefore, monitoring the water level is difficult.
Sunbeam Steam Master Iron with Retractable Cord GCSBSP-201
This made in China model has no apologies to make. This is because its design and performance do not disappoint. Even though it lacks many advanced features, it is still a practical iron that delivers acceptable results.
- Large stainless steel sole plate with nonstick :
This iron has a durable and large soleplate customized to cut down ironing time. A large soleplate covers a wide area reducing the number of strokes required to iron. The sole plate is further coated with nonstick to prevent scorching and sticking while working
- 1400 watts of power :
The iron heats up well thanks to its reasonable wattage. It gets hot enough to remove creases without much hustle. You do not have to worry about uneven heating or loss of heat during ironing, this iron maintains the set temperature for as long as it’s in use.
- Powerful shot of steam :
With the touch of a dial, this iron releases a jet of super-hot steam which can be directed at a particular spot on your cloth to melt any stubborn creases.
- Variable steam :
Different fabrics have different needs when it comes to temperatures and steam. A button on this iron allows you to choose the right combination for the best results. From high steam to no steam, this iron gives you the control
- Self-clean and anti-calc system : The anti-calc system prevents the build-up of calcium deposits inside the water tank while self-clean flushes out sediments or other material that may block the steam vents.
- Auto shut off : The Sunbeam Steam Master Iron shuts itself off when left unattended to prevent the likelihood of accidents.
- Sunbeam steam master’s Anti-drip system prevents water leakage that may damage delicate fabrics.
- Thanks to the variable steam button, this iron can be used a dry iron.
- It has a large yet light soleplate.
- It has good steam generation
- Has a retractable cord
- Can be used for vertical steaming
- It is prone to overheating which may damage the iron
- The cord could have been longer.
Rowenta DW5080 Focus Steam Iron
If you are looking for the best-rated & best priced steam iron, this is probably it. This steam iron is made in Germany to high-quality standards and this is reflected in its reliability and performance. Based on our tests, this iron is a top contender for the best steam iron for clothes title.
- 1700 watts of power. This allows it to heat up remarkably fast while providing enough power for massive steam generation
- 400 micro steam holes technology that allows efficient steam generation and distribution
- Stainless steel soleplate with precision tip. The Rowenta 5080 has a highly polished soleplate that offers superior glide on fabrics. The stainless steel soleplate has a precision tip that allows easy access to tricky spots on clothes such as the button areas or pleats.
- 10oz water tank that is sufficient to provide a reasonable ironing time before requiring a refill.
- Auto shut off function. This iron automatically goes when left idle for a while
- Burst of steam which removes stubborn creases
- Auto steam that continually adjusts the steam output to the temperature of the soleplate for the best results
- Excellent steam generation and distribution
- A highly polished soleplate for a superior glide
- Can be used for vertical steaming
- Easy handling with ergonomic thermostat knob
- It heats up in about a minute
- At 7 inches, the power cord is a bit short
- It is a heavy iron and not appropriate for old or people with problematic limbs
- Due to its high steam production, the water tank requires frequent refills.
Sunbeam Hot-2-Trot Travel Iron
If you are a frequent traveler, you will find the Sunbeam Hot-2 Trot a perfect companion. This is a small iron that promises the features of a full-sized iron while weighing only 1.2 pounds. This iron impressed us with a fast heat up time despite having a wattage of only 800 watts.
- Nonstick soleplate with steam vents near the tip
- 800 watts of power
- Dual voltage 240v and 140v
- Shot of steam for difficult creases
- Soft touch handle for comfort
- Compact and light for easy travel
- It can be used with no steam as a dry iron
- Heats up in just 2 minutes
- It has an indicator light to alert the user when the iron is hot
- Temperature control for ease of working with different fabrics.
- It lacks the comfort of a full-sized iron
- Prone to occasional leaks and sputtering
- Removing tough creases requires a bit of effort owing to its light soleplate
Rowenta Steamforce DW9280 Iron
This is another German made iron which is at the very top of the list of good performers. Definitely, one of best Rowenta steam iron in the market today, the Rowenta 9280 is not your average steam iron as its results can almost compare to that of the best steam generator iron. Of all the models we tested, we found this to be the best professional steam iron and the best high-pressure steam iron.
Although there are some models that produced almost as much steam, no other model that we tested produced such powerful steam. This iron comes with state of the art features and unique technology such as an electronic steam pump that pushes much more steam into the fabric than ordinary irons. This is an iron that produces professional results.
- 1800 watts of power
- Steam force technology that pushes 30% more steam into fabric
- A high-quality stainless steel soleplate with non-stick coating and a precision tip
- 400 micro steam holes Rowenta technology
- Digital controls with LED display
- Steam motion sensor that conserves water and electricity
- Anti-calc and self-clean system that increases efficiency and the lifespan of the iron
- Vertical steaming for straightening hanging drapes or clothes
- Auto off for safety.
- Very effective in removing creases and produces professional results
- Great steam output and distribution around the soleplate
- A powerful burst of steam of 210g/min with a precision shot.
- It has a superior glide on fabrics thanks to a highly polished soleplate
- Digital controls and a display for precision in temperature and steam selection.
- It has a relatively large water tank.
- The power cord is relatively short
- The water tank is dark and therefore difficult to monitor
- It requires frequent refills during ironing.
Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master Steam Iron
When we tested the Rowenta 8080 we concluded that it is most likely the best garment steam iron under the $100 mark. Like other high-end Rowenta models made in Germany, this iron does not disappoint. It is a relatively high power iron and has an impressive heat up time; when it gets hot, it does get hot! Thanks to the 400 micro steam holes technology, this iron has great steam production. We found the burst of steam to be very effective in flattening tough creases and the extra-large water tank an invaluable feature.
- 1700 watts of power
- Stainless steel soleplate with precision tip
- 400 micro steam holes
- Powerful burst of steam
- Variable steam and vertical steaming for hanging drapes
- 12.7-ounce water tank
- Self-clean and anti-drip systems
- 3 way automatic shut off
- Extra-long burst of vertical steam
- A highly polished soleplate that provides a superior glide while ironing
- It has variable Continuous steam
- The precision tip is great for maneuvering tricky spots on clothes
- It comes with 1-year warranty.
- It is made in Germany
- It has a rather short power cord at only 7 inches
- The water tank is dark hence difficult to monitor the water level.
- This limits this iron in professional use. Were it not for this limitation, this model could probably be the best steam iron for quilting.
Black & Decker IR03V
This is a low-end model of black and decker but don’t dismiss it just yet; it works. You won’t be getting any sophisticated functions with it or great ergonomics; only a basic iron. Sure, It is not built for ostentation or extra comfort but at the very least it is a practical iron.
- Variable steam that matches the soleplate temperature. When you select a given fabric mode, steam output automatically adjusts itself to match the soleplate temperature. You will find that at higher temperatures you will get more steam and vice versa. This smart steam feature eliminates guesswork when choosing the right steam temperature combination.
- True glide on- stick soleplate which provides a smooth glide.
- A steam surge that allows for vertical steaming.
- Fabric selection guide
- Spray mist function that helps create crisp lines
- Translucent water tank
- It is a low priced steam iron
- Light in weight, therefore, does not lead to stain
- Can be used for vertical steaming
- For its price, it produces relatively good results
- It does not get hot enough to tackle major creases
- Its results are not comparable to those of higher end models
- Many buyers have found that it has major leakage problems
- It does not seem to last long
Rowenta Effective Comfort DW2070 Steam Iron
This iron has a comfortable feel thanks to an ergonomically designed handle with a thumb rest. It is not heavy yet not awkwardly light it is sort of a good balance. When we put this model to test, we did not expect anything less than good performance it having enjoyed some of the best steam iron reviews.
The steam production was good though not anywhere close to models such as the Rowenta DW8080 and the Rowenta DW9280. However being a relatively low priced model, this is not surprising. We found that it heats up reasonably fast and has no trouble dealing with stubborn creases.
- 1600 watts of power
- Stainless steel sole plate with non-stick and scratch resistant
- 300 micro steam holes on the soleplate
- Integrated self-clean and anti-calc systems
- 3-way auto shut-off for safety
- Anti-drip to reduce chances of dripping.
- Vertical steaming
- Manually adjustable steam control
- It has a precision tip so you can reach tricky spots such as pleats and the button areas.
- It can be used as a steamer for vertical steaming
- You do not require to use distilled water for the water tank
- It has good steam production and distribution
- Many buyers have found that this iron develops leakage problems after a short period of use
- It has a short power cord
- Owing to many buyer experiences, this is not a durable iron
T-fal FV4495 Ultraglide Easycord Steam Iron
This is another popular iron that we couldn’t wait to put it to test. Truthfully, there is nothing impressive about its design. However, this iron comes with brilliant features and offers exceptional performance for its price. It feels solid and sturdy and of all the irons, we tested we found the T-fal to have the longest power cord. We were impressed by its heat up time which matches some of the more expensive irons. Bearing a ceramic soleplate, this iron has one of the smoothest glides we have experienced.
- 1725 watts of power
- Ultra glide ceramic soleplate with nonstick properties
- Powerful burst of steam that is great for removing tough creases
- Self-clean and anti-calc system
- Strong continuous steam of up to 35g/ minute
- 3-way auto shut-off for safety
- Anti-drip system prevent dripping that may damage delicate fabrics
- Pointed tip to get into difficult to reach corners of clothing
- It has adjustable steam and soleplate temperature
- Can be used for steaming hanging clothes or drapes
- It has a soft grip handle for comfort
- Large heel to prevent tipping when the iron is placed upright
- It comes with one year warranty
- You cannot adjust the temperature dial when using the iron because it is placed under the handle
- It cannot be used for quilting because of its short auto shut off time
- Some buyers have complained of water spitting although this is a common complaint about steam irons.
Black & Decker The Classic Iron Model F67E
If design is anything to go by, this is a classic iron. If you are a lover of vintage, you will fall in love with it. Unfortunately, there is nothing to write home about this model apart from its simplicity. Talking of which some people find it appealing for being “ unpretentious” and easy to use. Although it is a basic iron, it works as well as some more expensive models. It has a solid feel and is notably heavy.
- 1100 watts of power
- It has an aluminum soleplate which heats up fast
- Steam surge for tough creases
- Can be used as a dry iron
- Variable steam according to need
- Auto shut off
- On/ off switch
- Heats up very fast
- Heavy therefore presses creases easily
- It is low priced
- Very simple controls
- It comes with a two-year warranty
- The soleplate is prone to scratches and is not as long-lasting as stainless steel
- It has dark colored water tank so monitoring the water levels is not easy.
- Not-so-great for vertical steaming
What is The Best Steam Iron to Buy?
It really is a tight race; there are so many good irons that it is very difficult to single out a winner. However, after our extensive testing, researching and digging through many customer reviews, we can reveal that the Black and Decker D2030 is the best steam iron. This is based on its great performance, positive customer reviews, and its relatively low price.